Programmable Wireless USB Wixel Module
Including €0.02 for ecotax
Usage of the USB Wixel Module
This Programmable Wireless USB Wixel Module can be used in three main ways:
- Directly connect the USB Wixel Module to a PC to create a wireless USB dongle.
- Use the USB Wixel Module to add USB connectivity to your project.
- Add wireless capabilities to a remote, self-powered device, as a mobile robot.
A single USB Wixel Module can be used as a computer-interface device, as a USB-to-serial adapter, and it can even be the main controller for your system. To connect the USB Wixel Module to a computer, you need a USB A to mini-B cable (not included). Two or more USB Wixel Module are required to use the wireless capabilities (one USB Wixel Module can only communicate with another USB Wixel Module).
Technical specifications of the USB Wixel Module
The Programmable Wireless USB Wixel Module is based on the CC2511F32 microcontroller from Texas Instruments, which integrates a radio transceiver, 32 KB of flash memory, 4 KB of RAM, and a full-speed USB interface. You have access to 15 general-purpose I/O lines, including 6 analog inputs. The 0.1" pin spacing makes the Wixel easy to use with breadboards and perfboards.
- Full-speed USB
- 2.4 GHz Radio with 256 available channels, dynamically configurable
- Programmable through USB bootloader (no external programmer required)
- Pre-compiled, open-source apps available
- Wixel SDK for developing your own applications in C using open source tools and libraries
- 0.1" pin spacing (compatible with standard breadboards and 0.1" perfboards)
- 3 indicator LEDs
- 15 user I/O lines, featuring 6 analog inputs, 2 USARTs (for serial or SPI), and 7 timer channels (capable of PWM)
- 4 KB of RAM and 29 KB of application program memory (flash)
- Comprehensive user’s guide
- Shipped in assembled state, regarding the connectors
- Operating voltage: 2.7 – 6.5 V
- Operating current: up to approximately 30 mA (can get down to ~100 μA when in sleep mode)
- Frequency: 2400 – 2483.5 MHz
- Range: approximately 50 feet/ 15 meters (under typical indoors conditions)
- Bit rate: programmable, up to 350 kbps
- Effective data rate: up to 10 KB/s
- Size: 0.7" × 1.5" (17.7 x 38.1 mm)
- Weight without header pins installed: 3.2 g
Programming and applications of the USB Wixel Module
The Programmable Wireless USB Wixel Module contains a built-in USB bootloader that can be used to upload custom programs or precompiled, open-source apps to the USB Wixel module (no external programmer is required), using the free Wixel Configuration Utility software.
A growing number of free apps is available on Pololu website and lets you turn the USB Wixel module into whatever you need for your current project. You need no programming experience or compiler software to use these apps. If you start a new project, you only have to download a different app to reuse the USB Wixel module in a different way!
Advanced users can modify apps to adapt to the needs of their specific projects, and the apps are good programming example examples for the CC2511.
The Wireless Serial App turns a single USB Wixel module into a USB-to-serial adapter and a pair of USB Wixel modules into a wireless USB/TTL serial link for communication between two microcontrollers (like an XBee link) or between a PC and a microcontroller. You can use thas app, as an example, to enable communication between two robots or to remotely monitor or control a robot from a computer. The serial app is capable of transmitting or receiving up to 10 KB of data per second and multiple serial links can be used simultaneously on different channels.
Warning about radio regulations:
The USB Wixel module has not been tested or certified for conformance with any radio regulations. It is delivered with only a bootloader that does not use the radio. The 2.4 GHz band is relatively unrestricted in many countries, but it is your responsibility to comply with your local regulations if you program your USB Wixel module to use its wireless capabilities. More info