The NXTCAM, a vision system for your programmable robots Lego Mindstorms NXT
The NXTCAM is a vision system following the CMUCAM specifications. This vision system has a capacity of processing images in real time and to detect and track up to eight colored objects.
This CMUcam designed for Lego Mindstorms NXT connects to a sensor port on your Lego Mindstorms NXT intelligent brick, and can also connect to the PC through a USB interface. In addition, the lens includes a adjustable focus.
Once connected to the NXT intelligent brick, the NXTCAM is an autonomous system and does not require a PC connection. It is therefore ideal for autonomous programmed robots.
The NXTCAM can be used to track a colored ball or track a line (for color difference) and many other applications.
Technical specifications of the NXTCam V4
The technical specifications of the NXTCam V4 are as follows:
- Track up to 8 different colorful objects at 30 frames/second
- Configure the NXTCam using USB interface on Windows XP, Windows Vista.
- Supports two tracking modes: Object tracking and Line tracking.
- Provide real-time tracked object statistics (number of objects, color of objects, bounding box coordinates or line coordinates) through a standard NXT sensor port.
- Tracked image resolution of 88 x 144 pixels at 30 frames/second
- Perform full-resolution (176 x 144) pixels color image dumps to PC via USB port.
- Maximum power consumption (42 mA at 4.7 V)
- Uses NXT compatible I2C protocol for communications.
Our tutorial about how to use the NXTCAM for Lego Mindstorms NXT robots is available here.
Programming the NXTCAM
Programming the NXTCAM using NXT-G
The NXTCAM can be programmed using NXT-G. In order to program the NXTCAM using NXT-G, download the NXT-G code of the corresponding block by clicking on the following image:
Codes examples are also available at this address: NXT-G codes for the NXTCAM
Programming the NXTCAM using RobotC
The NXTCAM is also programmable using RobotC. You'll need to download the third party drivers to be able to program the NXTCAM with RobotC. Click on the following image to download these third party drivers :
Click on the following image to download the user guide of the NXTCAM:
Here is an example of usage of the NXTCAM: