Structure elements of the Q.bo robot ('Basic Platform' version)
The Q.bo robot is a high-level open-source programmable robotics platform based on ROS. The basic version contains only structure elements of the robot and no electronic components.
Presentation of the programmable ROS-based Q.bo robot
The Q.bo robot is a programmable mobile robot based on ROS and developed by a Spanish company named The Corpora. It's a totally open-source platform aimed at being the base for artificial intelligence and social robotics developments to promote robotics in our daily lives. It is conceived to offer a maximum of possibilities at an affordable price.
The Q.bo robot has a very attractive curved shape with a round head, motorized eyelids, and a mouth made of leds that allows it to express emotions. Its small size and small free wheel make it very stable, even on uneven ground.
The main features of the Q.bo robot are:
- Obstacle detection: The Q.bo robot's ultrasonic sensors allow it to avoid obstacles while moving in its environment.
- Stereoscopic vision: With the two cameras in its eyes, the Q.bo robot can see in 3 dimensions.
- Face tracking and recognition: Q.bo looks at you, recognizes you, tracks you...
- Speech recognition: Speak and Q.bo understands! The Q.bo robot has several microphones and uses the Julius software to understand human speech.
- Play music: You can control the volume or change the song without touching the robot, thanks to the gesture recognition application.
- Wifi connection: Q.bo can be remote controlled or get by itself information on the internet with its Wifi connection
- Localization with the Xtion Pro Live (Q.bo Pro Evo version): this depth-camera allows to spot 3D points in the environment and use them to build a map. The Q.bo robot can then localize itself and navigate in an autonomous way.
Our engineers program the Q.bo robot! face tracking, color detection, games for kids, see here the videos of our interactive behaviors!
The different versions of the Q.bo robot
The Q.bo robot is available in three versions: The'Basic Platform' version contains only the unmounted mechanical pieces, the 'Lite Evo' version is mounted and contains an Intel Atom main board and the 'Pro Evo' version is provided with a Intel i3 main board and a Xtion sensor.
The Q.bo basic platform
The Q.bo "basic platform" version is only the chassis of the Q.bo robot. It contains only structure parts of the robot and no electronic components such as motherboards, hard drives, sensors or even engines. Items included in the Basic version Platform are:
- Plastic pieces
- Motor pinions
- Metal Chassis
- HDD mounting adapter
- Mother Board mounting adapter
- Caster Wheel
- Screws, circlips, nuts and washers
- Eyelids Mechanics
- Mounting instructions
- Antenna Wi-Fi + antenna cable
- Web Cams
The Q.bo robot is open-source for both hardware and software. this version Q.bo Basic Platform is offered to those who wish to build their Q.bo robot by adding their own electronic architecture.
Programming the ROS-based Q.bo robot
You can find here the OpenQbo linux distribution, based on Ubuntu 11.10 (Oneiric Ocelot), for the programmable Q.bo robot. Compared to the classical distribution, some softwares have been removed and others, like ROS (Robot Operating System, a very popular programming system, see our presentation), Julius, the speech recognition software and Festival, the vocal synthesis software, have been specifically added. This distribution has been realized by The Corpora so you can benefit from a ready to use OS for the Q.bo robot, without unnecessary tools.
The main programming language for the Q.bo robot is ROS. The Q.bo specific ROS libraries are available here and are of course open-source. The provided ROS packages allow you very easily to have the robot move and speak, to use stereovision to extract and track an object, to recognize faces... But also to check that, in front of a mirror, Q.bo can determine if it looks at its reflection or at another Q.bo robot:
The openQbo community allows quick information and advise exchange, as well as sharing new application for the programmable Q.bo robot.
The Basic Platform version of the Q.bo robot
The 'Basic Platform' version of the Q.bo robot contains all mechanical pieces, adapters, tools... but no electronic boards, no main board, no sensors nor actuators. Only the two Q.bo-specific cameras are furnished.
You are therefore totally free to re-do the inside of your Q.bo robot as you wish, to create you own electronic boards, to choose your battery, your main board... while having the complete hardware part at your disposal.
The complete list of the components is available here.
The 'Basic platform' version of the Q.bo robot is delivered unmounted. This video shows the mounting of a Q.bo in time-lapse: