GoPiGo 2 Classroom Package
GoPiGo Classroom Package: GoPiGo robots for your students
More and more teachers are finding that teaching robotics to children in a school setting has a very positive impact.
It’s even thought to help prevent academic failure, and is considered a highly stimulating learning environment.
As Didier Roy (researcher in the INRIA Flowers team) pointed out when we interviewed him recently, teaching technical subjects – and robotics in particular – improves student motivation and skill acquisition.
Creating small groups of students within a same class and making them work on a robotics project helps children develop qualities they will find useful throughout their lives: a form of logical thinking, reasoned argumentation, teamwork, problem solving and creativity, French, mathematics, etc.
GoPiGo is a comprehensive robotics kit for Raspberry Pi that contains everything you need to transform your Raspberry Pi into a robot capable of exploring and launching small projectiles... the possibilities are endless!
The GoPiGo robotics kit for Raspberry Pi by Dexter Industries is now available in 3 versions:
The GoPiGo Classroom Package by Dexter Industries was designed for schools. This special educational pack contains 5 GoPiGo Starter Kits, allowing a teacher to divide the class into 5 small workgroups and hence involve each student in a technical project.
The GoPiGo Starter Kit contains more components than the Base Kit to ensure you have everything you need for your GoPiGo robot to function properly.
The GoPiGo Starter Kit includes:
- The GoPiGo Base Kit, containing:
- 2 motors
- 2 wheels
- 2 encoders
- 1 controller for motors, drivers and additional hardware
- 1 holder for 8 AA batteries
- A Raspberry Pi 3 model B, the brains behind your GoPiGo mobile robot, which will communicate with the controller provided with the Base Kit (see above)
- An Ethernet cable, allowing you to connect your Raspberry Pi board securely to your computer for programming
- A WiFi dongle, which you can connect to your Raspberry Pi board and which serves the same purpose as the Ethernet cable, while significantly increasing your robot’s mobility thanks to the wireless connection
- A micro SD cardwith the modified Raspbian image, including all the modifications made to make your Raspberry Pi work with your GoPiGo robot (and also with BrickPi and GrovePi)
- A charger, allowing you to power your Raspberry Pi while programming it without wearing down your cells and batteries
- A servo package for GoPiGo, to be able to equip your robot with an ultrasonic sensor or camera
- An ultrasonic range finder, to be mounted on the GoPiGo mobile robot to enable it to detect obstacles and other surrounding objects for problem-free navigation!
Technical specifications of the GoPiGo Classroom Package
- 5 x GoPiGo Base Kit
- 5 x Raspberry Pi 3 model B board
- 5 x 15.24 cm RJ-45 Ethernet cable
- 5 x 802.11n USB 2.0 WiFi dongle
- 5 x Micro SD card with the modified Raspbian image
- 5 x charger for Raspberry Pi board
- 5 x servo package for GoPiGo
- 5 x Grove ultrasonic range finder
Resources for the GoPiGo Classroom Package
There are lots of guides and tutorials for the GoPiGo Starter Kit, and most are very good. Here are a few to get you started: