A child’s guide to programming: 1, 2, 3... codez! (French)
Designed in collaboration with Inria and France-IOI, and published by Le Pommier, 1, 2, 3... codez! is the first teaching manual dedicated to programming to be produced by the La main à la pâte foundation, established with the aim of improving the quality of science and technology education in France. It offers teachers and pupils in nursery, primary and middle schools a series of worksheets and turnkey sessions allowing children to familiarise themselves with the computer and digital world.
Including €0.10 for ecotax
1, 2, 3... codez! with Thymio: making programming accessible to children
Can robotics be taught effectively and coherently in schools? One thing is certain, La main à la pâte has taken a huge step forward in this regard with its first computer programming teaching manual aimed at pupils under 11 and their teachers as part of its Class’Code project.
The turnkey sessions detailed in 1, 2, 3... codez! have been tested in classes and are organised according to different themes and age groups. There are also fact sheets and educational and scientific annexes for teachers.
- Level 1: a first introduction for nursery children, who will learn how a robot works. Particularly popular in the learning process are the Thymio robots, although it’s also possible to organise workshops without any robotics hardware.
- Level 2: pupils take their first steps in programming with fun activities, including challenges to be tackled by a hero: decipher a message, map out a route, etc.
- Level 3: children straddling primary and middle school are invited on a guided tour of an unknown planet by performing encoding operations, before discovering the planet in question in Scratch.
A guide designed to meet teachers’ expectations
Schools are increasingly expected to teach information technology, programming and robotics, but not all teachers are fully equipped to do so, often due to lack of equipment or specific training. Completing the programme can be hard work.
1, 2, 3... codez! can be used in parallel with Thymio educational robots, but there are also activities that can be done on a computer, tablet or other robot, depending on the material available in class.
Some sessions are even possible with no equipment at all, to encourage another form of learning through “computer thought”.
Technical specifications of the 1, 2, 3... codez! guide
- Designed for pupils from nursery through to middle school
- Authors: Claire Calmet, Mathieu Hirtzig and David Wilgenbus
- Publisher: La main à la pâte, Editions Le Pommier
- 358 pages
- Paperback, colour
- ISBN: 978-2-7465-1106-4