Dynamixel MX-64T Actuator
The MX-64T is a Dynamixel servomotor, with high-level control features and very precise. It is more powerful than the MX-28T but less than the MX-106T.
Including €0.05 for ecotax
The Dynamixel servomotors
- All-around assembling structure: you can make robots of various forms as using different option frames.
- Powerful feedback : It can read current position of Dynamixel or speed as well as various information such as internal temperature, supply voltage, target position.
- Simple connection structure: Wiring is simple because it is linked by Daisy Chain.
- Alarm function: When internal temperature, torque, supply voltage etc. escaped appointed range, it gives feedback about that situation. Also in such emergency situation, it flash LED or be Torque off.
- Compliance configuration: It can configure the compliance to control the position.
- Torque set up : Torque can be set up by 1023 steps from maximum Torque to free run state.
- Low-electric current/high voltagedrive : Its efficiency is high because it runs by high voltage and it improves stability of robot system that is formed by Dynamixel because current consumption is low.
- Status LED : It has LED that can check state of the Dynamixel.
- Drive by network: Dynamixels have unique ID and are controlled by Packet communication on a bus. It supports network of TTL, RS 485, and CAN etc. according to model.
This video illustrates the capabilities and the existing application for Dynamixel servomotors:
Programming the Dynamixel servomotors
The servomotors have to be linked to a main controller (CM-900, CM-700, CM-5, CM-510, CM-530, or OpenCM9.04) to be commanded. The progams are made with RoboPlus, which allow really easy programmation, without much previous knowledge.
The most recent main controllers support embedded C and there is a SDK for you to developp your own applications.
The Dynamixel MX-64T servomotor
The MX-64R and MX-64T are new Dynamixel servomotors in the MX range. They replace and improve the RX-64 servomotor with a new absolute contactless encoder with 12 bit resolution (4096 positions), can be positionned over 360° in joint mode (251° previously), can be speed controlled in wheel mode and estimate their torque based on current.
Moreover they are controlled with a PID (proportional integral derivative), which parameters can be set servomotor by servomotor. Admissible values are between 0 and 255 and the PID coefficients are modified with the following formulas:
The case of the RX-64 has also been lightly modified, the MX-64T servomotor is therefore not compatible with the HN05-N101/T101 horn.
The Dynamixel servomotor MX-64T supports the TTL communication protocol (when MX-64T supports RS484 communication) with high speed (3Mbs), it is compatible with the CM-510, CM-530, CM-700 and OpenCM9.04 main controllers. Warning, the operating voltage is not the same as the RX-64 voltage.
Technical specifications of the Dynamixel MX-64T actuator
- MCU : ST CORTEX-M3 (ST32F103C8 @ 72MHZ,32BIT)
- Motor : Maxon
- Position sensor : Contactless absolute encoder (12BIT,360 DEGREE)
- Stall Torque : 5.5N.m (at 11.1V, 3.9A), 6.0N.m (at 12V, 4.1A), 7.3N.m (at 14.8V, 5.2A)
- No load speed : 58rpm (at 11.1V), 63rpm (at 12V), 78rpm (at 14.8V)
- Résolution : 0.088° x 4.096
- Running degree : 360°
- Control algorithm : PID
- Command :digital packet, baud rate : 8000 bps ~ 3 Mbps
- Protocol : Half duplex Asynchronous Serial Communication (8bit,1stop, No Parity)
- Link (physical) : TTL Level Multi Drop Bus
- Weight : 126g
- Voltage : 10 ~ 14.8V (Recommended voltage 12V)
- Gear ratio : 200 : 1
- ID : 254 ID (0~253)
- Feedback : Position, Temperature, Load, Input Voltage, Current, etc.
- Ide current : 100 mA
- Dimensions : 40.2mm x 61.1mm x 41mm (exact dimensions available here)
- Material : Full Metal Gear, Engineering Plastic Body
All the technical specifications of the Dynamixel MX-64R actuator are available on the website of the manufacturer at http://support.robotis.com/en/product/dynamixel/mx_series/mx-64.htm
Comparing the various Dynamixel actuators
The chart below compare the Dynamixel actuators on their performance. Servomotors are differentiated by communication type (and the MX range proposes both protocols).
- Tension de fonctionnement [V]
- 10 - 14.8 V
- Couple de décrochage [N-m]
- 5 - 6.9
- Courant de décrochage [A]
- 4 - 4.5 A
- Vitesse à vide [rpm]
- 60 - 69
- Protocole de communication