Dynamixel MX-106R Actuator
The MX-106R is a Dynamixel servomotor, with high-level control features and very precise. It is by far the most powerful of the Dynamixel servomotors.
Including €0.05 for ecotax
The Dynamixel servomotors
- All-around assembling structure: you can make robots of various forms as using different option frames.
- Powerful feedback : It can read current position of Dynamixel or speed as well as various information such as internal temperature, supply voltage, target position.
- Simple connection structure: Wiring is simple because it is linked by Daisy Chain.
- Alarm function: When internal temperature, torque, supply voltage etc. escaped appointed range, it gives feedback about that situation. Also in such emergency situation, it flash LED or be Torque off.
- Compliance configuration: It can configure the compliance to control the position.
- Torque set up : Torque can be set up by 1023 steps from maximum Torque to free run state.
- Low-electric current/high voltagedrive : Its efficiency is high because it runs by high voltage and it improves stability of robot system that is formed by Dynamixel because current consumption is low.
- Status LED : It has LED that can check state of the Dynamixel.
- Drive by network: Dynamixels have unique ID and are controlled by Packet communication on a bus. It supports network of TTL, RS 485, and CAN etc. according to model.
This video illustrates the capabilities and the existing application for Dynamixel servomotors:
Programming the Dynamixel servomotors
The servomotors have to be linked to a main controller (CM-900, CM-700, CM-5, CM-510 or CM-530) to be commanded. The progams are made with RoboPlus, which allow really easy programmation, without much previous knowledge.
The most recent main controllers support embedded C and there is a SDK for you to developp your own applications.
The Dynamixel MX-106R servomotor
The MX-106T and MX-106R are new Dynamixel servomotors in the MX range. They replace and improve the EX-106+ servomotor with a new absolute contactless encoder with 12 bit resolution (4096 positions), can be positionned over 360° in joint mode (251° previously), can be speed controlled in wheel mode and estimate their torque based on current.
Moreover they are controlled with a PID (proportional integral derivative), which parameters can be set servomotor by servomotor. Admissible values are between 0 and 255 and the PID coefficients are modified with the following formulas:
Two MX-106R Dynamixel servomotors can be used in 'dual mode', where the slave servomotor reproduces exactly the moves of the master one (or the inverse of the moves if the 'reverse' option is activated)
The case of the EX-106+ has also been lightly modified, the MX-106R servomotor is therefore not compatible with the HN05-N101/T101 horn.
The Dynamixel servomotor MX-106R supports the RS485 communication protocol (when MX-106T supports TTS communication) with high speed (3Mbs), it is compatible with the CM-700 controller. Warning, the operating voltage is not the same as the EX-106+ voltage.
Technical specifications of the Dynamixel MX-106R actuator
- MCU : ST CORTEX-M3 (ST32F103C8 @ 72MHZ,32BIT)
- Motor : Maxon
- Position sensor : Contactless absolute encoder (12BIT,360 DEGREE)
- Stall Torque : 8.0N.m (at 11.1V, 4.8A), 8.4N.m (at 12V, 5.2A), 10.0N.m (at 14.8V, 6.3A)
- No load speed : 41 rmp (11.1V), 45 rmp (12V), 55 rmp (14.8V)
- Résolution : 0.088° x 4.096
- Running degree : 360°
- Control algorithm : PID
- Command :digital packet, baud rate : 8000 bps ~ 3 Mbps
- Protocol : RS485 Asynchronous Serial Communication (8bit,1stop, No Parity)
- Link (physical) : RS485 Multi Drop Bus
- Weight : 153g
- Voltage : 10 ~ 14.8V (Recommended voltage 12V)
- Gear ratio : 225 : 1
- ID : 254 ID (0~253)
- Feedback : Position, Temperature, Load, Input Voltage, Current, etc.
- Ide current : 100 mA
- Dimensions : 40.2mm x 61.1mm x 46mm (exact dimensions available here)
- Material : Full Metal Gear, Engineering Plastic Body
All the technical specifications of the Dynamixel MX-106R actuator are available on the website of the manufacturer at https://emanual.robotis.com/docs/en/dxl/mx/mx-106/
Comparing the various Dynamixel actuators
This document offers an overview on the characteristics of all the Dynamixel servomotors.
Comparison between all Dynamixel servomotors
The chart below compare the Dynamixel actuators on their performance. Servomotors are differentiated by communication type (and the MX range proposes both protocols).
- Tension de fonctionnement [V]
- 10 - 14.8 V
- Couple de décrochage [N-m]
- 7 - 8.9
- Courant de décrochage [A]
- Vitesse à vide [rpm]
- 40 - 49
- Protocole de communication
Check that your Dynamixel servomotor is correctly configured. Do not hesitate to re-flash it with the ROBOTIS Software Roboplus. After re-flash remember to re-configure it. If the issue is not solved, contact us for an advanced support.
The motor is probably not well mounted. Check that you correctly mounted the horns by respecting the mark.
Check your power supply and the system cabling (try with a different servomotor). You can also reset the servo. If nothing works, the best solution is to go through the Dynamixel servomotor checklist!
The 1.0 protocol is dedicated to the Dynamixel AX and MX series. Protocol 2.0 is for the X and Dynamixel Pro series. Protocol 2.0 control tables include PID controls which allow for more precise adjustment of the servo motor movements. Protocol 2.0 can be updated on MX series servo motors. You can refer to the protocol 1.0 and protocol 2.0 pages for more informations.